Sunday, July 7, 2013

My Haircare/Hair Routine

So today I thought I'd do a haircare post to explain the products and steps I use to (attempt to) keep my hair under control. So maybe those of you who have a similar hair type can get some ideas and try out some new products. So here's what I do!
 
(please excuse my face in this picture; I got massively sunburn and just in general I look bad)

All of the products I use
First of all, I have thick, dry hair I'm always looking to get hydrating or moisturizing products or products that are specifically for curly hair. Since my hair has grown out, it has been a lot more wavy than curly.


My everyday, go-to shampoo and conditioner are the Banana Shampoo and Conditioner from The Body Shop. These are very good and I do recommend, but after I run out of these bottles I'll probably try something else, just for the sake of trying something new. But these are good products and I will most likely buy them again at some point. If you want to know my full review on these products you can check out my post here.

 
When I'm  not using my everyday products (which is about once a week) I use these. I use the Shimmer Lights Purple Shampoo from Clairol, which has done wonders on preserving my color (natural with some highlights). Since this is not a moisturizing shampoo by any means, I make sure to use some kind of deep conditioner or treatment. What I'm currently using is the Rainforest Moisture Hair Butter by The Body Shop.
 
 
After I get out of the shower, I detangle my hair using the Fantastic Condition Moisturizing Leave-in Conditioner that I picked up from Fantastic Sam's. This detangler works so well in allowing a comb to go through my damp hair. I then use the Detangling Comb by Conair to work the tangles out of my hair.
 
 
Once I finish detangling my hair, I put in these two products. I've been told you're supposed to avoid putting product near your roots, as it is an oilier area and can be weighed down easier, but since my hair is so thick and dry it's not as much of a problem for me. I apply these mostly on the rest of my hair and then some at my roots, making sure to get a lot on my ends, because that's the most damaged area. I first put in the Curls Rock Leave-in Moisturizer from the Catwalk line from Tigi. Then, the last product I put in is the CHI Silk Infusion, which I have already done a separate blog post on that you can find here.
 
 

This is the comb that I use on a regular basis; it is wide tooth comb from Conair. I've stressed the importance of a wide tooth comb for curly/wavy hair in this blog post. What I usually do is comb out my hair before going to bed; if I comb it out right before I go somewhere, it goes poof and just becomes really frizzy and fluffy. By combing it out at night, I can sleep on it and then it goes back to its curly/wavy shape and isn't frizzy anymore. Then, in the morning, my hair doesn't have knots or anything and I just run my fingers through it so it isn't messy and bam; that's my whole hair routine.
 
Other than taking care of it with products, my hair is fairly low maintenance and I don't really do anything else to style it. I don't use heat on it and I haven't straightened it in almost three years. Too much of a hassle considering I have so much hair and just too damaging.
 
Let me know if you use any of these products and if you have any hair tips!
 
Connect with me:
Instagram: 00bree

4 comments:

  1. Our hair types of very different (Mine is fine and straight!) But I agree that a wide tooth comb is SOO important. I always use one to comb conditioner through my hair in the shower and to detangle when my hair is wet. A brush is just too harsh and damaging!

    I loved this post!

    Katie's Beautique

    Katie’s Beautique on Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  2. i worry about hair breakage. its creating some terrible flyaways near my roots!

    Isabel @ Walk of Fashion

    ReplyDelete